During my first November show in Carefree, AZ, I sold a three foot fountain to a very nice couple who said they wanted to replace their old one. When I got to their house, this is what I found. The fountain worked fine other than splashing all over the place. After some discussion, it was decided that we wanted to remove the center piece but still use the basin. I went back to Santa Fe and fabricated a 4' x 4' granite base to place around the round one.
When I returned for the second show in Scottsdale two weeks later, I brought the basin and the other pieces with me: Galvanized steel mesh, river pebbles. plumbing parts and sealer to re-seal the concrete basin. I placed the fountain on top, leveled it, turned on the water, chiseled a tad off the top so it would flow just right....
And we have a working fountain with no trace of the old one!!
This is a video of the finished installation. It has a great sound with no splash onto the patio.